Milton in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
On November 12, 1817, the trustees of the Milton Academy purchased land on the west side of the church lot on which to build a school. For many years the Academy enjoyed a distinguished reputation for scholastic excellence. It was closed circa 1880. In 1894 the Academy lot was conveyed to the Public School Commissioners of Milton. A two-story frame building was then constructed on the site. Milton’s first “high school” remained in used until 1933, when it was replaced by a new facility at another location.
Following the construction of the church a cemetery was established on the grounds. For many years
Erected 1998 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-127.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list.
Location. 38° 46.557′ N, 75° 18.592′ W. Marker is in Milton, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Chestnut Street, on the right when traveling north. Located between Coulter Street and Mill Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milton DE 19968, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Governor Joseph Maull Carey (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. John The Baptist Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); Milton Fire Department, Inc. (about 500 feet away); Governor James PonderGolden Rule Lodge #17, I.O.O.F. (about 600 feet away); Goshen United Methodist Church (about 800 feet away); Milton Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Governor Samuel Paynter (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 25, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 636 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 25, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.