Cape Girardeau in Cape Girardeau County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
1877 - 1896
The first long distance telephone line in Missouri was completed December 18, 1877 between Cape Girardeau and Jackson.
Here in a 10' by 12' second floor room the city's first telephone exchange was established by A.R. Ponder, L.J. Albert, J.F. Brooks, and M.A. Dennison doing business as the Cape Girardeau Telephone Company.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Communications.
Location. 37° 18.283′ N, 89° 31.117′ W. Marker is in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, in Cape Girardeau County. Marker is on Themis Street 0 miles west of Main Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cape Girardeau MO 63701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1880 (within shouting distance of this marker); 1875 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Mississippi River (about 300 feet away); 1870 (about 300 feet away); 1863 (about 300 feet away); 1861 1838 (about 300 feet away); Nature's River (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cape Girardeau.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2010, by Allen Gathman of Pocahontas, Missouri. This page has been viewed 1,179 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on November 27, 2010, by Allen Gathman of Pocahontas, Missouri. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 27, 2010, by Allen Gathman of Pocahontas, Missouri. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.