Wallkill in Ulster County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Liberty and Washington Streets, Newburgh
— Historic New York —
General Washington came to the farm home of the Hasbrouck family in Newburgh on April 1, 1782. He occupied the house until August 19, 1783, while his troops were encamped at Temple Hill, a few miles away.
These were trying months while a peace treaty was being negotiated with Great Britain. It was a time of restless inaction for the troops: of discipline maintained with difficulty.
It was at Newburgh, among the General Orders of the Day, August 7, 1782, that General Washington proposed the establishment of the Purple Heart.
Adjacent to the Headquarters is a regional museum.
Erected by the Education Department, State of New York, Department of Public Works.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington, the George Washington Slept Here, and the Historic New York State series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1942.
Location. 41° 35.553′ N, 74° 5.307′ W. Marker is in WallkillTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wallkill NY 12589, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newburgh Area (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Newburgh Area (approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named Washington’s Headquarters (approx. 1.1 miles away); Thomas Machin’s Mint (approx. 3.6 miles away); Historical Site (approx. 4.3 miles away).
More about this marker. A "Historic New York" marker.
Also see . . . George Washington's Historic Newburgh Address (Speech). (Submitted on May 31, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,909 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 31, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 3, 4. submitted on March 24, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.