Lewes in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Lewes Maritime History Trail
Two of the many lighthouses that have guided mariners on Delaware Bay for nearly 250 years can be seen from Lewes beach.
The rust-colored Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse was built in 1885. It replaced an earlier lighthouse that was located near what is now the middle of the inner breakwater. East End was known as " the noisiest light on the Bay" because its fog signal trumpeted almost constantly during harsh winters.
The black-and-white Harbor of Refuge Light Station was built in 1926. Its perch, where the Delaware Bay and Atlantic Ocean slam together at the south end of the outer breakwater, is known as one of America's most turbulent lighthouse locations. The present iron structure was built after an earlier wooden one survived only 20 years before being destroyed by storms.
Erected by City of Lewes.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 38° 46.901′ N, 75° 7.823′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewes DE 19958, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Menhaden Fisheries (here, next to this marker); Lewes-Rehoboth Canal (approx. 0.6 miles away); Otis H. Smith City Dock (approx. 0.6 miles away); Unknown Sailors' Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Bombardment of Lewes (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named The Bombardment of Lewes (approx. 0.6 miles away); The War of 1812 (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Legacy of Ted Freeman (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewes.
Regarding Lighthouses. Marker Photos from the collection of the Delaware River and Bay Lighthouse Foundation and the National Archives
Also see . . . Lighthouses of the United States: Delaware ; photos included. Delaware (Lewes) Breakwater 1885. Inactive since 1996 (a decorative white light is displayed toward the land). 65 ft (20 m) sparkplug style round tower with 3-story round keeper's quarters, lantern and gallery....
Harbor of Refuge (2) 1926 (station established 1902). Active; focal plane 72 ft (22 m); white flash every 5 s; two red sectors cover nearby shoals. 76 ft (23 m) sparkplug style round cast iron lighthouse with 3-story round keeper's quarters, lantern (Submitted on November 29, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 701 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on November 29, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.