Milton in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. John The Baptist Episcopal Church
With expansion of settlement away from coastal areas in the early 18th century, there was a growing need for houses of worship to be located nearer to the homes of the settlers. In the spring of 1728, a frame chapel was constructed approximately two and one half miles west of here. The effort was led by Reverend William Becket, a Church of England missionary, who reported that the building was located “in the forest of Sussex” and was named for St. John the Baptist. Despite attempts to sustain it, the declining condition of the structure, an insufficient number of clergy, and the economic and political turmoil of the times, resulted in the abandonment of the old church around 1800.
After sporadic efforts to revive the congregation, the church was formally re-established in 1867. The present building was completed in 1877, and consecrated by Bishop Alfred Lee in June of that year. It was extensively remodeled in 1936, when a veneer of brick was added to the exterior. The adjoining Parish House was completed in 1941. St. John The Baptist Episcopal Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Erected 2002 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-156.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1728.
Location. 38° 46.521′ N, 75° 18.677′ W. Marker is in Milton, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Federal Street (Delaware Route 5), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 307 Federal Street, Milton DE 19968, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Goshen United Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Golden Rule Lodge #17, I.O.O.F. (about 400 feet away); Governor Joseph Maull Carey (about 400 feet away); Governor James Ponder (about 400 feet away); Goshen Cemetery (about 500 feet away); Milton Fire Department, Inc. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Governor Joseph Maull (approx. 0.2 miles away); Governor Samuel Paynter (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milton.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 416 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 2, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.