Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Milford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Milford

 
 
Milford Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
1. Milford Marker
Inscription.  Town laid out by Joseph Oliver 1787. Village was located on tract then called "Saw-Mill Range". Named Milford from fording place near mill-dam erected by Rev. Sydenham Thorne across Mispillion Creek, 1787. First incorporated 1807. Old town in Kent County, new town in Sussex County. Home of Governors Rogers, Tharp, Causey, Burton, and Watson.
 
Erected 1933 by Historic Markers Commission. (Marker Number SC 26.)
 
Location. 38° 54.697′ N, 75° 25.698′ W. Marker is in Milford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is at the intersection of South Walnut Street and SE 2nd Street on South Walnut Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 South Walnut Street, Milford DE 19963, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Major General Alfred T.A. Torbert (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Major General Alfred T.A. Torbert (within shouting distance of this marker); Causey House (within shouting distance of this marker); Vale-Williams Memorial City Hall
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Liberty Tree Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Towers (approx. 0.2 miles away); Temple Lodge No. 9 A.F. & A.M. (approx. mile away); The Vaules-Grier Home (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milford.
 
Topics. This marker is included in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 13, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 1, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 465 times since then and 2 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on December 1, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement