Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Seaford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Seaford Hundred

 
 
Seaford Hundred Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
1. Seaford Hundred Marker
Inscription.  Town laid out, 1799. Then called "Hooper's Landing." First incorporated 1865. Seaford Academy located here from 1819 until some time before Civil War. Rev. Leonidas Polk, later Episcopal Bishop and Major General in Confederate Army was student at Academy. Home of William H. Ross, thirty-seventh Governor of Delaware.
 
Erected 1932 by Historic Markers Commission. (Marker Number SC-6.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1799.
 
Location. 38° 38.959′ N, 75° 36.473′ W. Marker is in Seaford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Bridgeville Highway and N. Street Extended on Old Bridgeville Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seaford DE 19973, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Seaford High School (approx. ¼ mile away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Nanticoke Post No. 6 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Killed in Action Memorial
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Forty & Eight Boxcar (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Luke's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Governor William H. H. Ross (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. John's United Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seaford.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 520 times since then and 7 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on December 2, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=38657

Paid Advertisement
May. 6, 2021