Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Seaford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Forty & Eight Boxcar

 
 
Forty & Eight Boxcar Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
1. Forty & Eight Boxcar Marker
Inscription.  This car is one of 49 given to the American people by the citizens of France in thanks for aid rendered during and after World War II. Utilized for hauling military cargo during two world wars, they were known for their complement of “forty men - eight horses.” The “Merci” or Gratitude Train was assembled by French veterans, who decorated each car with the coats of arms of the provinces of France. On February 12, 1949, the citizens of Delaware formally welcomed the gift-laden offering at a ceremony held in Wilmington. A statewide exhibition tour followed. The car is owned and maintained by the American Legion’s Society of the 40 & 8, Voiture #1320 (Marker Number SC-94.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Merci Train Boxcars marker series.
 
Location. 38° 38.659′ N, 75° 36.552′ W. Marker is in Seaford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is at the intersection of Front Street and Poplar Street, on the right when traveling south on Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seaford DE 19973, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance
Forty & Eight Boxcar image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
2. Forty & Eight Boxcar
of this marker. Killed in Action Memorial (here, next to this marker); Nanticoke Post No. 6 (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Luke's Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Governor William H. H. Ross (within shouting distance of this marker); Gateway to Freedom: The Tilly Escape (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. John's United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Seaford Fire Department (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seaford.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  Mercitrain.org website about the Delaware Boxcar. Contains photos of some artifacts donated by the French people and dedication photos. (Submitted on February 11, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.) 
 
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Railroads & StreetcarsWar, World II
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,120 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 2, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement