Athens in Athens-Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Taylor-Grady House
General Robert Taylor (1787-1859), a planter and cotton merchant, built this Greek Revival home as a summer residence in 1839. Shortly thereafter he moved his family here permanently from Savannah in order for his sons to attend the University of Georgia.
Henry Woodfin Grady (1850-1889) lived in this house from 1865 to 1868 while a student at the University. His father, William S. Grady, bought the house in 1863 and it remained in the family’s possession until 1872. Henry Grady often referred to this house as “an old Southern home with its lofty pillars, and its white pigeons fluttering down through the golden air.” The 13 Doric columns are said to represent the 13 original states.
As managing editor of the Atlanta Constitution, Henry W. Grady became the spokesman of the New South. An impressive orator, he stressed the importance of reconciliation between North and South after the Civil War. The South today, with an economy balanced between industry and diversified agriculture, has made a reality of Grady’s dream for his native region.
Erected 1970 by
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
Location. 33° 57.687′ N, 83° 23.317′ W. Marker is in Athens, Georgia, in Athens-Clarke County. Marker is on Prince Avenue 0 miles west of Grady Avenue (U.S. 129), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 634 Prince Avenue, Athens GA 30601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. William Lorenzo Moss Birthplace (approx. ¼ mile away); America’s First Garden Club (approx. ¼ mile away); Camak House: (approx. 0.3 miles away); Home of Joseph Henry Lumpkin (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lucy Cobb Institute (1858-1931) (approx. 0.4 miles away); Athens High and Industrial School (approx. 0.4 miles away); University of Georgia Botanical Garden (approx. 0.4 miles away); Louis H. Persley (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Regarding The Taylor-Grady House. The Taylor-Grady House is now owned by the city of Athens, and is used as a special events facility.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 3, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 690 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 3, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.