Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Erected 1972 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 19.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 43° 5.036′ N, 89° 22.75′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of East Gorham Street and North Livingston Street, on the right when traveling west on East Gorham Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 752 East Gorham Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Adolf H. Kayser House (within shouting distance of Lincoln School (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Collins House (about 500 feet away); Anna and Cornelius Collins Residence (about 800 feet away); Irene and Robert Connor Residence (approx. 0.2 miles away); City Horse Barn (approx. 0.2 miles away); Badger State Shoe Factory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bernard - Hoover Boat House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Leitch House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "The superb William and Jane Leitch house is one of Madison's most important nineteenth century buildings and our best example of the mid-19th century Gothic revival style. William Leitch was born in England, came to New York in 1829 and moved to Madison in 1858, having written ahead to get construction started on his family's new house. Madison sandstone was used for the walls, slates covered the roof and woodwork was carved in lacy medieval designs. The house cost almost $14,000 to build, in a day when a good frame house could be built for $500.
"Leitch, a merchant, was elected Mayor
The Leitch House was placed on the National Register for Historic Places on July 18, 1975.
Also see . . . Livingston Inn. The current occupant of the Leitch House. (Submitted on December 25, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Additional keywords. Architecture
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,472 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 4, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.