KRBA-AM Radio Station
Early KRBA programming included broadcast news, drama, music, and sermons. The station also covered sports, beginning with Lufkin Panther football in 1938. During World War II, the station employed a number of women to take the place of male employees. By the 1950s and 1960s, new programs included "The Song and Dance Parade," a prelude to rock-n-roll programming, and "Tunes and Tempos," which introduced African-American radio to local
Through the years, the station has made a major impact in the area. KRBA-AM has sponsored a number of charitable activities in Lufkin. The station has also served as a launching pad for a number of noted radio and broadcast personalities. Today, under the direction of Yates Media, historic KRBA continues to be directly involved in community and regional events, and continues to serve the public as a viable broadcasting institution into the 21st Century.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16011.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Communications. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1864.
Location. 31° 20.333′ N, 94° 43.791′ W. Marker is in Lufkin, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is on Cotton Square, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 Cotton Square, Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Depot Explosion and Mystery (a few steps from this marker); Calder (Cotton) Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Rehearsal Hall for The Hoo Hoo Band (within shouting distance of this marker); Kerr's Inc. (within shouting distance of this marker); Lufkin Telephone Exchange
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 5, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,024 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 5, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.