Near Gustine/Santa Nella in Merced County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
San Joaquin Valley National Cemetery
This cemetery is dedicated to the memory of all the patriotic men and women who answered their country’s call to service. Their inspiring contribution will help preserve in the hearts and lives of all Americans the spirit of patriotism, the love of country, and the willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good.
President of the United States
Edward J. Derwinski
Secretary of Veterans Affairs
Allen B. Clark
Director of the National Cemetery System
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #41 George H.W. Bush, and the National Cemeteries series lists.
Location. 37° 6.878′ N, 121° 4.732′ W. Marker is near Gustine/Santa Nella, California, in Merced County. Marker is on West McCabe Road. Marker is mounted on the wall of the Administration Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 32053 West McCabe Road, Gustine CA 95322, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Marine Division – FMF (within shouting distance of this marker); United States Submariners Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pacheco Pass (approx. 2.6 miles away); 1843 - Rancho de San Luis Gonzaga - 1931 (approx. 8.7 miles away); The Old Adobe of Rancho San Luis Gonzaga (approx. 8.7 miles away); Men of Gustine War Memorial (approx. 10.7 miles away); Enterprise School (approx. 10.7 miles away); Gustine Museum (approx. 10.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gustine/Santa Nella.
Regarding San Joaquin Valley National Cemetery. The creation of San Joaquin Valley National Cemetery is the sixth in the state and 114th in the National Cemetery Administration.
The Romero Ranch Company donated the land for the cemetery to the Department of Veterans Affairs on Feb. 3, 1989. Construction of the 105-acre first phase began July 15, 1990. The water-pumping station on the California Aqueduct, the last element of construction, was completed in May 1992. The first phase yielded about 15,000 gravesites and 8,000 in-ground cremation sites.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 5, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 935 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on December 5, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.