Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Southwestern Exposition and Livestock Show

 
 
Southwestern Exposition and Livestock Show Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Gregory Walker, September 17, 2010
1. Southwestern Exposition and Livestock Show Marker
Inscription.  Fort Worth Stock Yards Company publicist Charles C. French and local cattleman Charles C. McFarland organized the first livestock show in north Fort Worth in 1896. Members of the Texas Cattle Raisers Association (TCRA) participated in the initial show. The Fort Worth Stock Yards Company built a new coliseum in north Fort Worth in 1908 with the help of TCRA members. That year the National Feeders and Breeders Show opened with various events including a cutting horse competition and a horse show. The event, renamed the Southwestern Exposition and Fat Stock Show in 1918, included an indoor rodeo competition, youth activities, and a debutante social pageant popularized by the City's more prominent citizens. In 1943 the show's facilities were converted for U.S. military purposes and the show was canceled. In 1944 the show relocated to this site which included a coliseum, auditorium,and a memorial tower erected in 1936 as part of the Texas Centennial celebration. The show was renamed the Southwestern Exposition and Livestock Show in 1988. By 1995 the Show had become a 17-day multimillion-dollar premier rodeo, equine, livestock, and exhibition event
Location of Southwestern Exposition and Livestock Show image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Gregory Walker, September 17, 2010
2. Location of Southwestern Exposition and Livestock Show
Click or scan to see
this page online
with an annual draw of about 800,000 people. Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845-1995.
 
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Agriculture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
 
Location. 32° 44.626′ N, 97° 21.894′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker can be reached from Crestline Road close to Conservatory Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Worth TX 76107, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Midnight (approx. 0.2 miles away); Herbert M. Hinckley (approx. 0.2 miles away); Raymond C. Morrison (approx. 0.6 miles away); Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Camp Bowie in World War I (approx. 0.9 miles away); Camp Bowie Boulevard (approx. 0.9 miles away); Fort Worth's First Flight (approx. one mile away); Ormer Leslie Locklear (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 5, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 867 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 5, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=38756

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 27, 2022