Athens in Athens-Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Athens High and Industrial School
Established in 1916-1917 and accredited in 1922, Athens High and Industrial School (AHIS) was Georgia’s first four-year public high school for African-American students. Originally known as Reese Street School, founded in 1914, AHIS offered a full curriculum of classes including Latin, Greek, literature, history, chemistry, and physics. Industrial classes were offered in the evenings for adults. Leading black educator Samuel F. Harris served as principal of AHIS until his death in 1935. In 1933, AHIS moved to this location, previously the site of the Knox Institute which was founded by the Freedmen’s Bureau in 1868.
Erected 2010 by Georgia Historical Society, the AHIS/BHHS Alumni Association, Athens-Clarke Heritage Foundation and the Athens Historical Society, Inc. (Marker Number 29-06.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 33° 57.417′ N, 83° 23.082′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Athens GA 30601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. University of Georgia Botanical Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Camak House: (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lucy Cobb Institute (1858-1931) (approx. ¼ mile away); Home of Joseph Henry Lumpkin (approx. ¼ mile away); The Taylor-Grady House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Louis H. Persley (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Stoneman Raid (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Flight in Georgia (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 6, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,204 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 6, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.