Huntsville in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Merrimack Mfg. Co. & Village / Joseph J. Bradley School
1900-1992 / 1919-1967
Merrimack Mfg. Co. & Village
In 1899, construction started on Merrimack Mill and village. The mill began operation in 1900. A second mill building, added in 1903, made it one of the largest in the South. Under Joseph J. Bradley, Sr., managing agent (1905-1922), the village grew to 279 houses, a hospital, school, company store, and other small businesses. In 1920, the steam-operated mills converted to electricity. Lowenstein Fabrics bought the mill (1946), changed its name to Huntsville Mfg. Co., and the village became Huntsville Park. The mill continued to operate until 1989 and, in 1992, Huntsville's last operating textile mill was torn down.
(Continued on other side)
Joseph J. Bradley School
(Continued from other side)
The School, named for Joseph J. Bradley, Sr., was built in 1919 on the site of the first mill-sponsored school. Under the leadership of Edward Foyl DuBose, Principal (1921-1967), and with the mill's financial support, the school grew from 6 grades to 12 and served as a social and recreational center for the entire community. In 1951, the mill owners made a gift of the school
Erected 1995 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1899.
Location. 34° 42.186′ N, 86° 36.557′ W. Marker is in Huntsville, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is on Triana Boulevard SW 0.3 miles north of Drake Avenue SW, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3411 Triana Boulevard SW, Huntsville AL 35808, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Beaty Brahan Spring Park (approx. half a mile away); Van Valkenburgh Daylily Garden (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Jesup Wagon (approx. 1.3 miles away); Ala. Red-Bellied Turtle (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Columns (approx. 1˝ miles away); Glenwood Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); First Baptist Church Huntsville, Alabama (approx. 1.7 miles away); William Hooper Councill High School Site (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntsville.
Also see . . . A History of Bradley, Rison and Lee High Schools. (Submitted on December 8, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 7, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,666 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 7, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. 5. submitted on December 8, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.