Chippewa Falls in Chippewa County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Site of the Mason Shoe Factory
By 1902 as the vast stands of white timber were becoming depleted, several local businessmen including J.B. Kehl became concerned about the business climate of the area. They formed a group called "The Progressive League" to encourage businesses to move to Chippewa Falls. They quickly arranged for the purchase of half the stock of the Harshman Shoe Company of Ohio and immediately broke ground on this site for the construction of a modern 3-story shoe factory. August Mason was one of the investors.
This site originally held the 1870's Hiram S. Allen grist mill. The mill was torn down and its foundation rock used to build the foundation of the new shoe factory. A dam with a long spillway was built just below the Columbia Street Bridge to provide mechanical power to run a line shaft. The line
In 1904, the Mason Shoe Manufacturing Company was started when Bert Mason with the financial help of his father August Mason and August Kuhrasach, purchased another local shoe business called the Independent Handmade Shoe Company. Ten years later Mason Shoe purchased the Harshman factory building and moved to this site.
Mason Shoe has grown and prospered over the years. In 1968 the company moved into a new shoe factory complex in the northeast industrial park of Chippewa Falls and currently operates out of several buildings within the city. The old shoe factory was torn down in 1978. A portion of the first floor wall remains in place to help retain the bank along Duncan Creek. The Mason Picnic Area was dedicated here by the company and the Earlyrisers Kiwanis Club in 1995. The regional bike trail was added in 2003.
Marker Sign #16
Erected by the Chippewa County Historical Society. (Marker Number 16.)
Location. 44° 56.327′ N, 91° 23.51′ W. Marker is in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, in Chippewa County. Marker is at the intersection of Rushman Drive (State Highway 124) and East Columbia Street, on the right when traveling north on Rushman Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chippewa Falls WI 54729, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the Hiram S. Allen Home (within shouting distance of this marker); The Federal Building & Early Mail Service (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Edward Rutledge Charity (about 700 feet away); The Marsh Rainbow Arch Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Norway House & the Birthplace of Alexander Wiley (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sokup's Market (approx. ¼ mile away); Old McDonell High School (approx. ¼ mile away); Hiram Stores Allen (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chippewa Falls.
Also see . . . About B.A. Mason. "In northern Wisconsin and Minnesota, lumber was king and in a small factory, Bert established his reputation by making sturdy leather boots for the lumberjacks and rivermen who harvested the huge stands of white pines." (Submitted on December 8, 2010.)
Topics. This marker is included in this topic list: Industry & Commerce
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,479 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 8, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.