Minneapolis in Hennepin County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Como–Harriet Streetcar Line
Steam passenger trains of the Minneapolis, Lyndale & Minnetonka Railway first reached this station from downtown Minneapolis in 1880. Called the "motor line," the railway was extended to Excelsior in 1882.
The Minneapolis Street Railway Company, organized by Thomas Lowry in 1875, purchased the line in 1887 and converted it to electric streetcar operation in 1891. From the Linden Hills terminus, streetcar service was extended to Lake Minnetonka in 1906, serving Morningside, Hopkins, Deephaven, Excelsior, Tonka Bay, and Big Island Park. Local "Como-Harriet" cars operated to St. Paul via Como Avenue from branches built along Xerxes and France avenues in Minneapolis.
Lowry combined his Minneapolis Street Railway Company with the St. Paul City Railway in 1893 to form the Twin City Rapid Transit Company. Before the streetcar system was abandoned on June 19, 1954, it operated 523 miles of streetcar lines in the cities and suburbs and built 1,240 cars
With the help of the Minneapolis Parks & Recreation Board, the Minnesota Historical Society, and many friends, the Minnesota Transportation Museum reopened this section of the "Como-Harriet" line in 1971 as a living memorial to a fine street railway system. The line was added to the National Register of Historic Places on October 17, 1977.
Erected 1981 by the Minnesota Transportation Museum, Inc.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Minnesota Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1862.
Location. 44° 55.652′ N, 93° 18.574′ W. Marker is in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in Hennepin County. Marker is on West 42nd Street west of West Lake Harriet Parkway, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2330 West 42nd Street, Minneapolis MN 55410, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First School House (within shouting distance of this marker); Geology of Minnesota (within shouting distance of this marker); Harriet Bandshells / Our Park LegacyThe Crash of Flight 307 (approx. 1˝ miles away); In 1939, this was more than just a park. (approx. 2.1 miles away); Peavey Fountain (approx. 2.2 miles away); Minnehaha Grange Hall (approx. 2.3 miles away); Old Cahill School (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Minneapolis.
Regarding Como–Harriet Streetcar Line. The Como-Harriet Streetcar Line and streetcar No. 1300 are listed on the National Register of Historic Places #77000739.
Also see . . .
1. Minnesota Streetcar Museum. Como-Harriet and Excelsior Streetcar Lines. (Submitted on December 9, 2010.)
2. Como-Harriet Streetcar Line. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on December 9, 2010.)
3. Thomas Lowry. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on December 9, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 9, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,373 times since then and 11 times this year. It was the Marker of the Week May 27, 2012. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 9, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on June 16, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 10, 11. submitted on September 2, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 12, 13. submitted on December 9, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 14. submitted on May 29, 2012. 15. submitted on September 17, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.