Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
General Mitchell Field
Kohler Aviation Corporation provided the missing link in Milwaukee’s air network by initiating passenger service across Lake Michigan to Grand Rapids and Detroit on August 31, 1929. Such famous pioneer fliers as Charles A. Lindbergh, Lester Maitland, the Bremen fliers, Wiley Post, and Eddie Rickenbacker visited this field.
On March 17, 1941, this airport was renamed in honor of General William Mitchell (1879-1936), Milwaukee’s famous air power advocate who had also proposed a strong civil aviation as part of the nation’s defense.
Erected 1976 by Eastern Air Lines, Milwaukee County Historical Society. (Marker Number 221.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Air & SpaceWisconsin Historical Society series list.
Location. 42° 57.509′ N, 87° 53.721′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is on East Layton Avenue half a mile east of South Howell Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located in the parking lot observation area on south side of Layton Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milwaukee WI 53207, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Lake (approx. 1.6 miles away); Lake Protestant Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Lakeside Power Plant (approx. 2.2 miles away); Bay View's Rolling Mill (approx. 2.8 miles away); Bay View’s Immigrants (approx. 3.2 miles away); St. Josaphat Basilica (approx. 3.3 miles away); Joseph Schlitz (approx. 3.6 miles away); Edward George Ryan (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milwaukee.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 810 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 10, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.