Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Pickett Springs / “The Best Public Resort”
Pickett Springs. Railroad building and amusement park development flourished in the post-bellum South. In 1880s, Western Railroad of Alabama opened Pickett Springs on site of William Harris’s plantation, “Forest Farm;” Harris’s daughter, Sarah, married A. J. Pickett, Alabama’s first historian, and they had their home here until Pickett’s death in 1858. Pickett Springs occupied portion of land as community of Chisholm developed nearby. During World War I Camp Sheridan, infantry training ground, supplanted the old park. During 1920s, West Boylston Manufacturing opened large cotton mill and a residential village in the vicinity.
“The Best Public Resort.” In September, 1886, Montgomery Advertiser noted Pickett Springs as the “best public resort.” Located four miles north of Montgomery, park offered entertainment and relaxation for citizens who traveled out by train until 1902 when street railway service started. Included in the area were a dance pavilion, refreshment stand, bowling alley, shooting gallery, carousel, flying swing, billiard parlor, scenic car and roller coaster. During summers in early 20th century, Salvation
Erected 1999 by Alabama Historical Association and Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce Historical Preservation and Promotion Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1886.
Location. 32° 25.803′ N, 86° 16.538′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is on County Road 2120 east of Lower Wetumpka Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Montgomery AL 36110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 9th Infantry Division / “The Old Reliables” (approx. half a mile away); 167th Infantry / Alabama’s Own (approx. half a mile away); Camp Sheridan (approx. half a mile away); 37th Division The Buckeye Division (approx. half a mile away); Gunter Annex / Gunter Basic Flying Training School (approx. 2.3 miles away); Airman First Class John L. Levitow Monument (approx. 2.3 miles away); Combat Skyspot (approx. 2.3 miles away); Award of Air Force Cross to Dustin H. Temple (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on December 12, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,347 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 12, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.