Home of Allen McLane
Born in Philadelphia August 8, 1746, McLane had moved to Delaware by 1769. His military career began when he was commissioned as an officer in the state militia in 1775. After the outbreak of the Revolution, McLane volunteered to raise a company of troops, investing much of his inheritance in accompanying expenses. During the course of the war he was an active participant in many major engagements including Long Island, White Plains, Trenton, Princeton, and the siege of Yorktown. His bravery and enterprise were rewarded in 1777 when he received his captain’s commission from General Washington. He was one of the first to suspect the loyalty of Benedict Arnold, and is said to have played a significant role in convincing the French to blockade the Chesapeake in 1781. He was a member of the Order of Cincinnati. For many years he was active in the affairs of church and state, serving as Speaker of the state Housing of Representatives, member of the Privy Council, Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, and U.S. Marshall for Delaware.
Following his return from the war it is believed that the McLane family rented a home at the southwest corner of Mt. Vernon and Market Streets. On December 23, 1785, Allen McLane “Merchant” received a deed from Thomas Wilds for a parcel of land including the lot where his house stands. Among the members of the family moving to the home was McLane’s infant son Louis, later a distinguished member of Congress, Minister to England, and United States Secretary of State. McLane maintained homes here on his farm until he moved to Wilmington following his appointment as Port Collector in 1797. He retained ownership of this property until selling it in 1828, one year prior to his death.
Erected 1997 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-60.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives, and the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington series lists.
Location. 39° 18.04′ N, 75° 36.526′ W. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Old Asbury Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Delaware House (about 500 feet away); Site of Green Pottery (about 500 feet away); Citizens' Hose Company No. 1. Inc. (about 500 feet away); The John Cummins Mansion (about 500 feet away); The Gray Box Chateau (about 600 feet away); St. Peter's Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away); The Barracks (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smyrna.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 16, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 885 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 16, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.