On August 24, 1891, 95 acres of the old plantation where slaves had once toiled were purchased for the purpose of establishing the “Delaware College for Colored Students.” Loockerman Hall became the center of the campus, serving variously as a dormitory, classroom, and administration building. In 1971 the structure was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the National Park Service.
Erected 1998 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number K-60.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Colonial Era
Location. 39° 11.119′ N, 75° 32.68′ W. Marker is in Dover, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 13. Marker is in the middle of the campus of Delaware State University. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dover DE 19904, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dupont School (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Delaware State College High School (about 400 feet away); Dover Downs (approx. half a mile away); Dover (approx. one mile away); Dover International Speedway (approx. 1.1 miles away); Lakeside Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Former Site of ILC Dover (approx. 1˝ miles away); Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
Additional keywords. Delaware State University, DSU, HBCUs
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 17, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,033 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 17, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.