Gadsden in Etowah County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
In the early 1840’s, John S. Moragne, along with Gabriel and Joseph Hughes, began surveying for a city on the banks of the Coosa River near the settlement of Double Springs. The new city would be located on 120 acres of land at the present site of the downtown business district. The fledgling town received a boost on July 4, 1845, when the piercing sound of a steamboat’s whistle along the banks of the Coosa River announced the beginning of a new era in Northeast Alabama. The landing of Captain James Lafferty’s steamboat. The Coosa, marked the genesis of a new town. The name chosen for the town was “Gadsden” in honor of Colonel James Gadsden, who passed through the area with Andrew Jackson. Many believed that the Colonel, a proponent of the trans-continental railroad, would bring a major railroad to the vicinity. Although no major railroad was ever constructed, the name was retained in honor of Colonel Gadsden. The little town survived the Civil War, continued to grow, and was incorporated in 1871.
The start of the 20th century brought changes that would forever shape the future
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 34° 0.65′ N, 85° 59.997′ W. Marker is in Gadsden, Alabama, in Etowah County. Marker is at the intersection of South 1st Street and Broad Street (U.S. 411), on the right when traveling north on South 1st Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gadsden AL 35901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Emma Sansom Monument (within shouting Paul Harvey Loyalty Day (within shouting distance of this marker); John H. Wisdom (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lynching of Bunk Richardson (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gadsden Amphitheater (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gadsden Municipal Amphitheatre (approx. ¼ mile away); Gadsden Times-News Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); The North Alabama Conference of the United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gadsden.
Also see . . . Encyclopedia of Alabama entry on Gadsden. (Submitted on December 19, 2012, by Laura Hill of Auburn, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 19, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,713 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 19, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.