Heidelberg Township in Berks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Is this Weiser's House?
We can't be sure. We know that Conrad Weiser owned this land and lived on the property from 1729 to about 1750. And there is a strong oral tradition indicating that Weiser's house stood on this spot. But archaeology conducted in 2000 found few artifacts dating to the early 1700s.
Even if Weiser lived in this house, it has changed quite a bit since his time. The Scheetz family, who farmed the area after the Weisers, used the homestead as a summer kitchen. Later owners made repairs after a fire and a tornado damaged the building in the early 1900s. More renovations occurred when Conrad Weiser Memorial Park was founded in the 1920s. As a result, very little of the original construction material remains.
Erected by Conrad Weiser Homestead.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1729.
Location. 40° 21.498′ N, 76° 10.312′ W. Marker is in Heidelberg Township, Pennsylvania, in Berks County. Marker can be reached from Weiser Drive. Marker is near Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 34 Weiser Dr, Womelsdorf PA 19567, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Home of Conrad Weiser, 1729-1760 (here, next to this marker); Tulpehocken Path (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home and Grave of Conrad Weiser (about 700 feet away); Conrad Weiser (about 700 feet away); Charming Forge (approx. 0.7 miles away); Robesonia Furnace (approx. 2.3 miles away); Fort Zeller (approx. 2.8 miles away); Marion Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 3˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Heidelberg Township.
Also see . . . Conrad Weiser. (Submitted on December 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 574 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.