Lincoln in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Goose Creek Historic District
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Landmarks • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Quakerism ⛪ series list.
Location. 39° 6.798′ N, 77° 41.676′ W. Marker is in Lincoln, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is on Intersection of Foundry and Sand (County Route off 611) 1.6 miles south of East Main Street, Purcellville (Business Route 7). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lincoln VA 20160, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Goose Creek Friends Oakdale School (here, next to this marker); Goose Creek Friends (approx. ¼ mile away); Goose Creek Friends 1817 Meeting House (approx. ¼ mile away); Goose Creek Friends 1765 Meeting House (approx. ¼ mile away); Loudoun Branch, Manassas Gap Railroad (approx. 0.8 miles away); Loudoun County Emancipation Association Grounds (approx. 1½ miles away); Mother of the Wright Brothers (approx. 1½ miles away); Mahlon Taylor Springhouse (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lincoln.
More about this marker. Marker is by the Oakdale one-room school house.
Regarding Goose Creek Historic District. See the three other nearby markers for additional photos and more information about this historic district.
Also see . . . Goose Creek Historic District. A brief history of the Goose Creek Historic District. (Submitted on December 5, 2007, by Franklin Bell of Bluemont, Virginia.)
1. From `Virginia: The WPA Guide to the Old Dominion'
In 1940, under Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal, the Works Progress Administration published guides to the individual states. In describing the 71-mile trip on State Rt. 7 from Alexandria to Winchester (Tour 13), the Guide states:
``At 44.3 m. is a junction with County 722.
``Left here is LINCOLN, 1.7 m. (101 pop.), a few frame houses and a store that form a hamlet begun in the 1730's by Friends from Pennsylvania. Here is Goose Greek Meeting, the only Quaker meeting to survive in Loudoun County, which grew out of the prayers of Jacob Janney's wife, Hannah, offered up twice weekly under the trees in the forest. The first meeting house, built shortly afger 1736, was replaced in 1765 by the SECOND GOOSE GREEK MEEING HOUSE (R), a stone building, now a dwelling, beside a stone-walled cmemtery. The THIRD MEETING HOUSE (L), a large red brick structure in use today, was erected in 1817.''
— Submitted March 13, 2008, by Franklin Bell of Bluemont, Virginia.
Additional keywords. Quakers Friends Virginia Lincoln, VA
Credits. This page was last revised on March 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2007, by Franklin Bell of Bluemont, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,190 times since then and 10 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on December 2, 2007, by Franklin Bell of Bluemont, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.