Singers Glen in Rockingham County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
“Father of song in Northern Virginia”
Teacher, translator, author
In 1816 he published “Choral Music”; in 1832 the first edition of “Genuine Church Music.” Here in 1847 he and his sons began printing, first the fourth edition of “Genuine Church Music,” later famous as “Harmonia Sacra.” In 1878 Ephrain Ruebush and Aldine S. Kieffer Funk’s grandson, moved the publishing house to Dayton.
This monument was erected in 1947 by Funk’s descendants and others who cherish his work and honor his character.
Erected 1947 by Funk’s descendants.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Churches & Religion.
Location. 38° 33.066′ N, 78° 55.035′ W. Marker is in Singers Glen, Virginia, in Rockingham County. Marker is on Singers Glen Road (Virginia Route 613) 0.1 miles south of Glen School Circle (Virginia Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Singers Glen VA 22850, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Salem Church (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Breneman-Turner Mill (approx. 2.9 miles away); Dr. Jessee Bennett (approx. 3.6 miles away); Baxter House (approx. 4.4 miles away); Lincoln's Virginia Ancestors (approx. 4˝ miles away); Elder John Kline Monument (approx. 5.7 miles away); Edgar Amos Love (approx. 7˝ miles away); Newtown Cemetery (approx. 7˝ miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Joseph Funk. Wikipedia (Submitted on December 28, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Joseph Funk (1778-1862). The Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online (Submitted on December 28, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 836 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 28, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 2. submitted on March 26, 2018. 3. submitted on December 28, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 4. submitted on March 26, 2018.