Troy in Rensselaer County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
History of 1819 Fifth Avenue
The house with its ornate trim, the large carriage house and courtyard form an important urban complex. Across the street were lots 1818 - 1834 which was the site of the well-known brownstones that created "Doctors' Row". They were demolished in 1967 to provide land for a proposed
1878 Edward Murphy Jr., Mayor of Troy (1875 -1883) and US Senator (1893-1899), purchased this house from Joseph Wilkinson, built shortly after the fire, and resided here until his death in 1911. His wife Julia lived here until her death in 1915 and their children until 1921. Edward Murphy was also an astute businessman who owned the Troy Daily Press, Troy Gas Co., Troy Real Estate and was a partner of Kennedy Murphy Brewing & Malt Co. with William Kennedy (located at the corner of Ferry St. and 6th the site of the former Ahearn apartments).
1921 The Burns family took possession and moved J. W. Burns Sons Fifth Avenue Funeral Chapel here. Cornelius "Connie" F. Burns (1860 - 1938), was the son of John J. and Ellen Gorman Burns. Following his father's death in 1881, he worked with brothers John, David and James in the undertaking business started in 1835 by their grandfather John Burns, an Irish immigrant. John and David died less than two years after their father's death in 1883 and Connie continued the family business with his brother James.
Connie, Troy's most colorful and personable mayor, was first elected to four terms in 1911 and returned to the family business in 1920 but re-entered local politics again in 1927 to serve another four terms. Connie will be remembered for his intense devotion to Troy where
1960 John J. and Estelle Tower purchased 1819 Fifth Ave. and continued operating J.W. Burns Sons Funeral Chapel with the help of his son, John A. "Tony" Tower who began his career in 1961. After John J. passed away in 1966, his son Tony continued operating as "John A. Tower Funeral Chapel" until he retired the business in 1978.
1978 Edward O'Haire, who married John J. and Estelle Tower's daughter Estelle "Chic", and John E. Ryan purchased this brownstone as the home of their business, Ryan & O'Haire Insurance Agency.
2002 Steven and Susan Bouchey purchased what is considered one of the most elegant brownstones in Troy. Steven then relocated both of his firms, Bouchey Financial Group and Bouchey & Clarke Benefits, to Historic Downtown Troy. Since 1878, this distinguished brownstone has been owned by only four families which is why it is still so well preserved.
Erected 2010 by Bouchey Financial Group and Bouchey & Clarke Benefits.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is May 10, 1893.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1819 5th Avenue, Troy NY 12180, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Great Fire of 1862 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); W & L E Gurley Building (about 400 feet away); Uncle Sam Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Locking Through (approx. 0.2 miles away); West Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Church of the Holy Cross (approx. ¼ mile away); The Rescue of Charles Nalle (approx. ¼ mile away); T'was The Night Before Christmas (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Troy.
Additional keywords. Troy
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 29, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 884 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 29, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.