Hampton in Hampton County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
American Legion Hut
This 1933 cypress-log hut is the headquarters of American Legion Post #108. Legionnaires and other local citizens cut cypress trees for it, designed it, and built it, with funding from the Reconstruction Finance Corporation, a Depression-era federal program. State Senator George Warren donated this one-acre site to the Town of Hampton, which deeded it to American Legion Post #108 in 1940.
This building, described at its opening as “one of the most beautiful in the state,” hosted Friday night dances for many years. During World War II it was a dining hall for German prisoners of war held nearby. The hut, a fine example of vernacular log construction and long a center of social and cultural events in Hampton County, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.
Erected 2010 by The American Legion Post #108. (Marker Number 25-16.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 32° 52.334′ N, 81° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hampton SC 29924, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. World War II POW Camp (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hampton Colored School (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Hampton Colored School (approx. 0.3 miles away); James Washington Moore House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Plywoods - Plastics Corporation / Westinghouse Micarta Division (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Hampton High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); All Wars Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hampton County (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hampton.
Regarding American Legion Hut. The American Legion Hut is a one-story, T-shaped cypress log building with a truss roof constructed in 1933. The Hut was constructed as and continues to be a meeting hall for the Hampton American Legion Post 108 as well as serving as a site for civic and social events. Local workers built the Hut supported by funds from the Reconstruction Finance Corporation, a federal agency that provided loans for work relief projects during the Great Depression. Construction began on May 8, 1933, and the hut was formally opened to the public on August 2, 1933. The exterior
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 1, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 722 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on January 1, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.