Green Bay in Brown County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Catholic Church In Green Bay
Near this site stood the first Catholic church in Green Bay begun in the year of our Lord 1823 by Father Gabriel Richard Vicar Apostolic of the Northwest and finished by Father Stephen Badin first resident pastor and missionary.
A short distance north of this was located the first Catholic cemetery, used for nearly a century. It was abandoned in 1835.
Erected by the Marquette Club of Green Bay 1924
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Landmarks. A significant historical year for this entry is 1823.
Location. 44° 30.5′ N, 88° 1.133′ W. Marker is in Green Bay, Wisconsin, in Brown County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street and Adams Street on Washington Street.
Located near Fire Station No. 1 on the corner of Washington and Adams Streets. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Green Bay WI 54301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. La Baye Burial Place (here, next to this marker); Bank Of Wisconsin (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Elks ClubMilwaukee Road Passenger Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Milwaukee Road Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Packers Office Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Vice Admiral James H. Flatley Jr. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Freimann Hotel Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Green Bay.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 1, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Dewey, Arizona. This page has been viewed 930 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 1, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Dewey, Arizona. 4. submitted on June 6, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Dewey, Arizona. 5. submitted on January 1, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Dewey, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.