Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Louisville in Jefferson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old State Capitol

 
 
Old State Capitol Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Dover, January 2, 2009
1. Old State Capitol Marker
Inscription.  Georgia Capitol was on this site, (1794-1807). Colonists on the coast had urged a location on higher ground "with good drinking water." The famous constitutional convention of 1798 was held here and the document then adopted lasted for seventy years. Georgia's Great Seal, still in use, was adopted here in 1799. Governors who served here were Jared Irvin, James Jackson, David Emanuel, Josiah Tattnall, and John Milledge.
 
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 081-2.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1798.
 
Location. 32° 59.913′ N, 82° 24.484′ W. Marker is in Louisville, Georgia, in Jefferson County. Marker is on County Courthouse Square (Georgia Route 24) close to Green Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Broad Street, Louisville GA 30434, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Yazoo Fraud" (here, next to this marker); Site of Capitol Building (a few steps from this
Old State Capitol Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 19, 2009
2. Old State Capitol Marker
The marker can just be seen in the bushes at right. The Jefferson County Courthouse was built in 1904, at a cost of $37,615. Designed by W. F. Denny and built by F. P. Heffner, it stands on the foundation of the 1848 Courthouse, which used much of the material from the Old State Capitol building.
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker); To Commemorate the Site of the First Permanent Capitol of Georgia (a few steps from this marker); The Sacking of Louisville (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Market House (about 700 feet away); Abbot & Stone Building 1890 (about 700 feet away); Louisville, Georgia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rocky Comfort Creek (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisville.
 
Old State Capitol Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 2, 2012
3. Old State Capitol Marker
Looking west on Broad Street (US Highway 1 Business) toward downtown Louisville and the Market House.
Old State Capitol Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 2, 2012
4. Old State Capitol Marker
Looking east on Broad Street (US Highway 1 Business).
Old State Capitol Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 2, 2012
5. Old State Capitol Marker
The 1904 Jefferson County Courthouse is in the background.
Old State Capitol Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Dover, January 2, 2009
6. Old State Capitol Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2011, by Michael Dover of Ellerslie, Georgia. This page has been viewed 714 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 2, 2011, by Michael Dover of Ellerslie, Georgia.   2. submitted on January 6, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   3, 4, 5. submitted on August 23, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   6. submitted on January 2, 2011, by Michael Dover of Ellerslie, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=39419

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 20, 2022