Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dover in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Dover Light Infantry

Kent County, Delaware Militia

 

— 1776-1777 —

 
Dover Light Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, July 13, 2008
1. Dover Light Infantry Marker
Inscription.  The Light Infantry Company of Dover, a part of the 1st Battalion of Kent County, mustered in on 2 April 1776. Each militia volunteer was uniformly armed, equipped, and wore a standard military coat of green faced with red lapels, cuffs, and collar. From 14 December 1776 to 14 January 1777, Captain Thomas Rodney, youngest brother to Declaration of Independence signer Caesar Rodney, and his light infantry company responded to General George Washington's Call to Arms for militia during the darkest days of the American Revolution. Members of the company who volunteered for this perilous mission marched from Dover, crossed the Delaware River into New Jersey, and as part of Brigadier General John Cadwalader's Pennsylvania Brigade, played key military roles in Washington's decisive victories against British and Hessian forces at the Second Battle of Trenton, and the Battle of Princeton. For distinguished service, Washington appointed the Light Infantry Company of Dover "to be his own guard." This memorial is dedicated in remembrance of these patriots who served "in the Defense and Protection of American Liberty."
 
Erected
Members of the Dover Light Infantry image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, July 13, 2008
2. Members of the Dover Light Infantry
Click or scan to see
this page online
2008 by Delaware Public Archives.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraPatriots & PatriotismWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 14, 1777.
 
Location. 39° 9.463′ N, 75° 31.15′ W. Marker is in Dover, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is on Liberty Street close to Duke of York Street. Located behind Legislative Hall, near Duke of York Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dover DE 19901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Afghanistan-Iraq Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Delaware Regiment (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bayonets of the Revolution (within shouting distance of this marker); Battles and Engagements of the Delaware Regiment (within shouting distance of this marker); The Delaware Continentals (within shouting distance of this marker); Bioretention (within shouting distance of this marker); The Congressional Medal Of Honor (within shouting distance of this marker); Delaware 9/11 Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
 
Dover Light Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 17, 2012
3. Dover Light Infantry Marker
Dover Light Infantry Marker at Legislative Hall - Delaware's Capitol Building Northeast lawn image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 17, 2012
4. Dover Light Infantry Marker at Legislative Hall - Delaware's Capitol Building Northeast lawn
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 9, 2011, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,237 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 9, 2011, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland.   3, 4. submitted on October 28, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=39576

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 26, 2022