Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Kitts Hummock in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Kitts Hummock

 
 
Kitts Hummock Marker image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, July 17, 2008
1. Kitts Hummock Marker
Inscription.  Like the Native Americans before them, European settlers used this rising ground or "hummock" on the shore of the Delaware Bay as a place for fishing and recreation. In 1738, Jehu Curtis received a patent for lands that he called "Kitt's Hammock." By the early 1800s, the Pleasanton family had established a tavern here for the entertainment of visitors. Around 1846, a hotel was built nearby. Known for a time as the Bay View Hotel, it was long the center of local activities. In the latter decades of the 19th century, a number of small cottages were erected here. Many were owned by residents of Dover who left the sweltering heat of summer behind for the cooling effects of the waters and bay breezes. Kitts Hummock continues to provide a peaceful refuge for residents and visitors alike.
 
Erected 2003 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-80.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 39° 6.156′ N, 75° 24.133′ W. Marker is in Kitts Hummock
Kitts Hummock image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, July 17, 2008
2. Kitts Hummock
, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is at the intersection of S. Bay Drive and Kitts Hummock Road on S. Bay Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dover DE 19901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Jones Neck (approx. 2.1 miles away); The St. Jones River: Why the Mansion Faces South (approx. 2˝ miles away); Byfield (approx. 2˝ miles away); Home of John Dickinson (approx. 2.6 miles away); C-45G (approx. 3.1 miles away); C-60 (approx. 3.1 miles away); LGM-30 (approx. 3.1 miles away); Town of Bowers (approx. 3.1 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 9, 2011, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 872 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 9, 2011, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 13, 2020