Alabama in Genesee County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Town of Alabama
Est. 1826. originally named Gerrysville, was changed to Alabama in 1828. Hamlets are Alabama Center, Basom, South Alabama & Wheatville
Erected 2002 by Genesee County Bicentennial Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. A significant historical year for this entry is 1826.
Location. 43° 4.402′ N, 78° 20.072′ W. Marker is in Alabama, New York, in Genesee County. Marker is on Judge Road (New York State Route 63) east of Knowlesville Road, on the left when traveling west. Marker is located in front of the Alabama Town Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2218 Judge Road, Basom NY 14013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Burial Ground (approx. 2 miles away); Basom Plot (approx. 2.9 miles away); In Honor of the Men Who Served in the Great War (approx. 3.3 miles away); Sue d'Alba (approx. 3.3 miles away); World War II and Korean War Memorial (approx. 3.3 miles away); This Waterway Site of Cary Collegiate Seminary (approx. 3.3 miles away); Schafer Farms (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alabama.
Regarding Town of Alabama. Alabama was formed April 17, 1826, and was originally called Gerrysville, after Elbridge Gerry, vice-president of the United States. In April 21, 1828, the name was changed to Alabama, meaning “Here we rest.”
Also see . . . From The Town Historian. Alabama NY website entry (Submitted on January 1, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 9, 2011, by Patrick Weissend of Corfu, New Yok. This page has been viewed 751 times since then and 177 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 9, 2011, by Patrick Weissend of Corfu, New Yok. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 2, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.