Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Batavia in Genesee County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Centennial Park

 
 
Centennial Parl Marker image. Click for full size.
By Patrick Weissend, May 10, 2007
1. Centennial Parl Marker
Inscription.  
Commemorating One Hundred Years
of educating blind students in
Batavia at the New York State
School for the Blind - First Opened
in September of 1868

 
Erected 1969 by Batavia City Council.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1868.
 
Location. 43° 0.295′ N, 78° 11.108′ W. Marker is in Batavia, New York, in Genesee County. Marker is on Richmond Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Batavia NY 14020, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Batavia (approx. half a mile away); Capt. Charles F. Rand (approx. half a mile away); Paolo Busti Monument (approx. half a mile away); In Memory of the Soldiers Sailors and Marines of Genesee County (approx. half a mile away); Genesee County Courthouse (approx. half a mile away); Genesee County (approx. half a mile away); The Batavia Club (approx. half a mile away); Cary House Site (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Batavia.
 
Also see . . .
New York State School for the Blind image. Click for full size.
1912
2. New York State School for the Blind
Click or scan to see
this page online
 History of the New York State School for the Blind. The school opened on September 2, 1868. Dr. Asa D. Lord welcomed the first 17 students to the school. Sixty-five students were in attendance by the end of the school year. (Submitted on January 11, 2011.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 10, 2011, by Patrick Weissend of Corfu, New Yok. This page has been viewed 410 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 10, 2011, by Patrick Weissend of Corfu, New Yok.   2. submitted on January 11, 2011. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Photos of the school buildings. • Can you help?

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=39634

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2021