“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Bowling Green in Warren County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)

Fort C. F. Smith

Fort C. F. Smith Marker image. Click for full size.
By Chad Comer, January 11, 2011
1. Fort C. F. Smith Marker
Inscription.  Construction of this strong defensive work began in 1862 during the Confederate occupation of Bowling Green. After the Confederates abandoned the city the Union Army completed the fortification, named Fort C. F. Smith in honor of General Charles Ferguson Smith.

Of the extensive fortifications that once occupied this hilltop, only these outer earthworks remain. The long, linear wall is the breastwork, which protected infantrymen from enemy fire. The semi-circular lunette sheltered artillery pieces. Union Colonel Benjamin Harrison supervised construction of these earthworks.

Fort C. F. Smith was described as a bastion fort; forts designed to withstand attack from any direction. Owing to the time and labor required in their construction, bastion forts were usually built only at sites of great importance; sites which demanded the presence of troops. Fort C. F. Smith was heavily armed. The fort mounted four 20-pounder Parrotts; two 3.8 inch James rifles; four 4-inch rifled guns; thirteen 12-pounder light and two 6-pounder smooth bores.

(Captions from upper left to lower right):
Lt. N.S. Andrews
Fort C. F. Smith Marker image. Click for full size.
By Chad Comer, January 11, 2011
2. Fort C. F. Smith Marker
of the 6th Michigan Battery drew this plan in November 1863. It depicts the fort, then under construction, as it would look when completed. The original drawing is at the National Archives in Washington, D.C.

Gen. Benjamin Harrison
Harrison was one of five Union Civil War generals later elected President of the United States

The 20-pounder Parrotts were the heaviest artillery at Fort C.F. Smith. This rifled cannon could shoot a 20 pound projectile 2,100 yards, slightly less than 1 miles.

Gen. Charles Furguson Smith
Smith died April 25, 1862 from injuries received at the Battle of Shiloh 2 1/2 weeks earlier.

This 6-pounder bronze cannon was the smallest of the fort's artillery. Even though it could shoot a six-pound projectile 1,523 yards it was virtually obsolete by 1861.

Location. 36° 59.32′ N, 86° 26.231′ W. Marker is in Bowling Green, Kentucky, in Warren County. Marker is on High Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bowling Green KY 42101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lillian H. South (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); College Hill (about 600 feet away); Bowling Green (approx. mile away); Williams Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Quigley-Younglove Building
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 0.3 miles away); Turpin Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Barr Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Getty Building (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bowling Green.
More about this marker. The marker incorrectly states General C.F. Smith was wounded at Shiloh. In fact, General Smith died of an injury to his leg suffered while debarking from a rowboat. The general's injury became infected. He did not fight in the battle of Shiloh.
Also see . . .  Tour stop # 3C of the John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail driving tour. (Submitted on January 12, 2011, by Chad Comer of Gamaliel, Kentucky.)
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Forts or CastlesWar, US Civil
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 12, 2011, by Chad Comer of Gamaliel, Kentucky. This page has been viewed 728 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 12, 2011, by Chad Comer of Gamaliel, Kentucky. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement