Huntsville in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Lincoln School and Village
Built in 1929 this school became the central core of community life until 1956 when Lincoln Village was annexed into the city of Huntsville. Edward W. Anderson served as its principal for 27 years. Many graduates became local and state leaders.
The mill stopped operation in 1957 and burned in 1980.
Erected 1985 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1918.
Location. 34° 44.723′ N, 86° 35.055′ W. Marker is in Huntsville, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of Meridian Street and Abingdon Avenue NW, on the right when traveling north on Meridian Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1110 Meridian Street, Huntsville AL 35801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lowry House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Goldsmith-Schiffman Field (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dallas Mills and Village / Rison School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Five Points Historic District (approx. 0.7 miles away); Dallas (Optimist) Park / (Dallas) Optimist Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); ETO 1939-1945/PTO 1941-1945 (approx. ¾ mile away); World War II - Pacific Theater of Operations (PTO) (approx. ¾ mile away); World War II - European Theater of Operations (ETO) (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntsville.
Regarding Lincoln School and Village. The school was recently closed due to budget cuts, but the website is still operational. http://www.hsv.k12.al.us/schools/elementary/lines/
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,163 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 17, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.