Near Ryland in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Flint River Primitive Baptist Church
Alabama's oldest Baptist church was constituted by Elder John Nicholson on October 2, 1808 in the home of James Deaton in Killingsworth Cove. It was named "The Flint River Baptist Church of Christ." The original building was built circa 1809 on the bank of the Flint River - 1 mile east of this site. Circa 1885, the congregation relocated to a new site - 2-1/2 miles east of the original location. Circa 1937, the present structure was built - 3-1/2 miles west of the second site.
Erected 2002 by Alabama Historical
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 34° 45.883′ N, 86° 27.389′ W. Marker is near Ryland, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is on Moontown Road south of Ryland Pike, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 663 Moontown Road, Brownsboro AL 35741, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Flint River Primitive Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Central High School/Central Junior High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Shiloh United Methodist Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Trail of Tears (approx. 2˝ miles away); Spring Migration (approx. 3.3 miles away); Monte Sano Railway (approx. 3.7 miles away); Site of Bell Factory (approx. 4.3 miles away); Lowell M. Anderson (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ryland.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 874 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 17, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.