Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Domingo in Wicomico County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

San Domingo School

 
 
San Domingo School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Nate Davidson, January 21, 2011
1. San Domingo School Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1919 under the Rosenwald School building program, a major effort to improve public education for African Americans in the early 20th century south. First administered by Tuskegee Institute under Booker T. Washington, the program combined seed money from Julius Rosenwald, President of Sears Roebuck, with local contributions. San Domingo's residents raised funds and donated labor and timber. William L. and Mary Brown conveyed two acres of land. The community purchased the school for a recreation center and lodge hall in 1961.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Trust & Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansCharity & Public WorkEducation. In addition, it is included in the Rosenwald Schools series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1919.
 
Location. 38° 30.783′ N, 75° 44.65′ W. Marker is in San Domingo, Maryland, in Wicomico County. Marker is on Sharptown/Mardela Springs Road (Maryland Route 313). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mardela Springs MD 21837, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
San Domingo School image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Nate Davidson, January 21, 2011
2. San Domingo School
Click or scan to see
this page online
are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. San Domingo School Community & Cultural Center (approx. 1.2 miles away); Sharptown War Memorial (approx. 2.3 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.4 miles away); Chesapeake Bay Restoration in Progress (approx. 2.6 miles away); Gravenor-English School (approx. 3.6 miles away); Young's Purchase Farmhouse (approx. 3.6 miles away); Young's Purchase Home (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Doctor's Office (approx. 3.6 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 22, 2011, by Nathan Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,019 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 22, 2011, by Nathan Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=39834

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 21, 2022