Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Domingo in Wicomico County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

San Domingo School Community & Cultural Center

 
 
San Domingo School Community & Cultural Center Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Nate Davidson, January 21, 2011
1. San Domingo School Community & Cultural Center Marker
Inscription.  The first school at this location, built around 1875, was a single story, one-room plan frame building that served the Sharptown District for over forty years. Built in 1919 to replace the first school, this two-story, hip roofed frame structure was financed creatively by several sources including Wicomico County as well as local residents who donated the land, timber and part of the labor. The lot on which the school stands was donated by community residents William L. and Mary Brown. A third source of funding was provided by Julius Rosenwald, president of the Sears, Roebuck & Co. The Julius Rosenwald Fund, administered through Booker T. Washington's Tuskegee Normal and Industrial Institute, supported the construction of new and improved schools for black children throughout the Southern states during the early twentieth century. This school building remained in county use until 1961 when it was sold by the Board of Education. The San Domingo School is listed on the National Register of Historic Places because of its cultural and architectural importance.
 
Erected by Community Foundation of the Eastern
San Domingo School Community & Cultural Center image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Nate Davidson, January 21, 2011
2. San Domingo School Community & Cultural Center
Click or scan to see
this page online
Shore, Delmarva Low Impact Tourism Experiences, Inc., Maryland Historical Trust, France-Merrick Foundation, Maryland Heritage Areas Authority, Lower Eastern Shore Heritage Council and the Rural Development Center, University of Maryland Eastern Shore.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansCharity & Public WorkEducation. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities, and the Rosenwald Schools series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
 
Location. 38° 30.65′ N, 75° 43.333′ W. Marker is in San Domingo, Maryland, in Wicomico County. Marker is on Old School Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mardela Springs MD 21837, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. San Domingo School (approx. 1.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 2 miles away); Sharptown War Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); Chesapeake Bay Restoration in Progress (approx. 2.3 miles away); Native Americans (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Springs at Barren Creek… (approx. 3.8 miles away); Barren Creek Spring House (approx. 3.8 miles away); Site of Barren Creek Springs Hotel (approx. 3.8 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 22, 2011, by Nathan Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 984 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 22, 2011, by Nathan Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=39835

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 25, 2022