North San Juan in Nevada County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Wells Fargo & Company / North San Juan - 1853
[ Building consists of three sections. Marker #1 is mounted on the front of the far right section. Marker #2 is mounted on the front of the center section. ]
Wm. Bull Meek-Wm. Morris Stewart, No. 10
E Clampus Vitus – Nevada City, Calif.
Wm. Bull Meek-Wm. Morris Stewart
Chapter E Clampus Vitus
Oct. 12, 1963
Erected 1963 by Wm. Bull Meek - Wm. Morris Stewart Chapter No. 10, E Clampus Vitus.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical date for this entry is October 7, 1869.
Location. 39° 22.194′ N, 121° 6.303′ W. Marker is in North San Juan, California, in Nevada County. Marker is on State Highway 49, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 29349 Highway 49, North San Juan CA 95960, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. North San Juan Fire Department (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); North San Juan United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); Old North San Juan School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marysville to Virginia City in 32 Hours (approx. 2.2 miles away); Oregon Creek Covered Bridge (approx. 2.2 miles away); Bullards Bar Dam and Reservoir (approx. 2.4 miles away); Purdon Bridge (approx. 4.3 miles away); The First Long Distance Telephone (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in North San Juan.
Regarding Wells Fargo & Company / North San Juan - 1853. San Juan Hill was first mined in 1853 by Christian Kientz who named the town. He had previously served with General Scott's army in Mexico and felt that this hill reminded him of the hill on which San Juan de Ulloa in Mexico stands. In 1857 a post office was opened and the government added the name "North" to distinguish it from the much older town of San Juan located in San Benito County. Many houses had been built
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 22, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,008 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 22, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 6. submitted on January 23, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 7. submitted on January 24, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 8. submitted on July 7, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.