Tangier in Accomack County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
It was the first house to have chain link fence, starting a trend to replace wooden picket fencing with the modern fencing chosen by the then preacher. The current trend is a return to the more traditional picket fence.
At the far end of Parsonage Lane is the Annie Parks House, also moved from Canaan in the early 1920's.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 37° 49.741′ N, 75° 59.56′ W. Marker is in Tangier, Virginia, in Accomack County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Ridge Road and Parsonage Lane (Virginia Route T-1310) on Main Ridge Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tangier VA 23440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welcome to Historic Tangier Island (a few steps from this marker); Fisherman's Corner (within shouting distance of this marker); Chambers Lane (within shouting Daley's Grocery (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome To Historic Tangier Island (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ice Cream Stand (about 300 feet away); Fort Albion (about 300 feet away); Parks Marina (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tangier.
More about this marker. On the marker is a picture of Miss Annie Parks, as she appeared in National Geographic, 1973.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 28, 2011, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 399 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 28, 2011, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.