Tangier in Accomack County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
First Mobile Home
The former Noble Dise Store was replaced with the island's first mobile home in 1959.
Manufactured homes remain popular today, but require a community-wide effort to move one into place after being delivered to the island by barge.
Erected by Tangier History Museum & Interpretive Cultural Center.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1959.
Location. 37° 49.541′ N, 75° 59.518′ W. Marker is in Tangier, Virginia, in Accomack County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Ridge Road and Wallace Road on Main Ridge Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tangier VA 23440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Connorton House (a few steps from this marker); The Peter Dise House (a few steps from this marker); Tangier History Museum and Interpretive Cultural Center (THMICC) (within shouting distance of this marker); The Joshua Pruitt House (within shouting distance of this marker); Chesapeake House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Doctor's House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Edward Crockett House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Spanky's Place (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tangier.
More about this marker. There are three pictures on this marker. The top picture is of Noble H. Dize. The middle picture is of a barge "moving a trailer to Canton Ridge - Bradshaw, 1970." The bottom picture is "Moving a manufactured home down Main Ridge, by hand - Kaye, 2005."
Credits. This page was last revised on September 30, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 28, 2011, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 755 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 28, 2011, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.