Tangier in Accomack County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Down Hilda Crockett Lane is the site of the former Tangier Opera House, where the first movie on the island was screened in 1908, and where the wireless staion (1909 - 1913) was located.
Erected by Tangier History Museum & Interpretive Cultural Center.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1944.
Location. 37° 49.518′ N, 75° 59.51′ W. Marker is in Tangier, Virginia, in Accomack County. Marker is on Main Ridge Road just north of Hilda Crockett Lane. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tangier VA 23440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Peter Dise House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Doctor's House (within shouting distance of this marker); First Mobile Home The Connorton House (within shouting distance of this marker); Peter Crockett Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Tangier History Museum and Interpretive Cultural Center (THMICC) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Joshua Pruitt House (about 300 feet away); Gravestones (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tangier.
More about this marker. In the upper left of the marker is a picture of the Chesapeake Hotel in 1949. In the center right of the marker is a picture of Hilda Crockett-Bodine in 1959. In the lower left of the marker is a picture of an old brochure advertising "Hilda Corkett's Chesapeake House, Established 1927" and catering "To The Stranger Who Walks Our Shores."
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 28, 2011, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 653 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 28, 2011, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.