Woodbridge in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Trinity Episcopal Church
By Rev. John Keith
First Church erected about 1712
Second Church erected on old site 1754
Charter granted by King George III
December 6th 1769
Second Church destroyed by fire 1858
Corner Stone of present Church laid
July 7th 1860
Consecrated May 20th 1861 by
Rt. Rev. W.H. Odinheimer
Bishop of the Diocese of New Jersey
( Lower Marker : )
Historical research, since the placing of the commemorative tablet mounted above, has established that Trinity Church was organized as a mission of the Church of England by the Rev. Edward Portlock, Colonial Anglican Missionary, at a service conducted by him at Woodbridge in the year 1698, four years prior to the founding of Trinity Church Parish in 1702. The service held by Keith on December 29th, 1703, was the first service held after Trinity Church had become a parish.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is May 20, 1869.
Location. 40° 33.805′ N, 74° 16.368′ W. Marker is in WoodbridgeTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodbridge NJ 07095, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trinity Church (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Trinity Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary Soldiers and Patriots of Woodbridge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); Aaron Dunn Homestead/Jost-Keating House (about 700 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Woodbridge (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named First Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodbridge.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 30, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 909 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 30, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 2, 3. submitted on January 19, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 4, 5. submitted on January 30, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 6. submitted on January 19, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.