Tangier in Accomack County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Swain Memorial United Methodist Church
Built in 1899 on the site of the island's second church (1842), it is the center of the Tangier's religious activity.
The Hiram Benson Education Building, erected in 1963 is named for a "pillar" of the Methodist Sunday school and occupies the site of the third church, Mariner's Bethel (1870).
Traditional Methodist class meetings are still held weekly and may be the last such gatherings of any Methodist community in America.
Erected by Tangier History Museum & Interpretive Cultural Center.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1899.
Location. 37° 49.634′ N, 75° 59.519′ W. Marker is in Tangier, Virginia, in Accomack County. Marker is on Main Ridge Road near Ponderosa Lane. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tangier VA 23440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. Copter — Flying Medicine to Tangier (here, next to this marker); Telephone Office, Post Office & Myrt’sTangier Island (a few steps from this marker); Tangier Island Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); The Parson of the Islands (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Tangier Island Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Tangier Island World Wars I and II Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Gladstone Memorial Health Center (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tangier.
More about this marker. There are three pictures on the marker. The top picture is a distant shot of Swain Memorial United Methodist Church in 1940. The middle picture is of Swain Memorial United Methodist Church in 1959 (picture on the marker is by Bodine). The picture in the lower left is of Hiram Benson in 1959 (picture on the marker is by Bradshaw).
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 31, 2011, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,203 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 31, 2011, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 11, 2016, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.