Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hattiesburg in Forrest County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

William Harris Hardy

 
 
William Harris Hardy Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, January 23, 2011
1. William Harris Hardy Marker
Inscription.  
In 1880 near the banks of Gordon Creek, this lawyer, railroad builder and Confederate veteran selected the site for Hattiesburg. Incorporated in 1884, the town was named for Hardy's wife, Hattie Lott.
 
Erected 1974 by Hattiesburg Area Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
 
Location. 31° 19.567′ N, 89° 17.467′ W. Marker is in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, in Forrest County. Marker is at the intersection of West Pine Street (U.S. 11) and Forrest Street on West Pine Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 West Pine Street, Hattiesburg MS 39401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Federal Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Forrest County Confederate Monument (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named William Harris Hardy (about 400 feet away); Hattiesburg
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 700 feet away); McLeod House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pittman Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Hattiesburg High School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Veterans of All Wars Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Paul Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); J.B. Woods Park (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hattiesburg.
 
Also see . . .
1. William H. Hardy. William H. Hardy (1837–1917) was the founder of Hattiesburg, Mississippi; Laurel, Mississippi; and co-founder of Gulfport. (Submitted on February 3, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 

2. Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Hattiesburg is a city in Forrest County, Mississippi, United States. (Submitted on February 3, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 

3. City of Hattiesburg. Official website of the city of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, (Submitted on February 3, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 
 
William Harris Hardy Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, January 23, 2011
2. William Harris Hardy Marker
William Harris Hardy Marker -<br>Southwest Corner of the<br>Old Federal Courthouse Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, January 23, 2011
3. William Harris Hardy Marker -
Southwest Corner of the
Old Federal Courthouse Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 3, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,234 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 3, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=40050

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024