Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marcellus in Onondaga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First Sawmill

 
 
First Sawmill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Nancy Mueller, February 5, 2011
1. First Sawmill Marker
Inscription.  First sawmill in Town of Marcellus built 1796 by Deacon Samuel Rice and Judge Dan Bradley.
 
Erected 1941 by NYS Education Department.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1796.
 
Location. 42° 58.95′ N, 76° 20.183′ W. Marker is in Marcellus, New York, in Onondaga County. Marker is on West Seneca Turnpike (Main Street) (New York State Route 175) 0.2 miles east of North St. (New York State Route 174), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marcellus NY 13108, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of First Frame House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Old Hotel (about 700 feet away); The Great Genesee Road (about 700 feet away); Site of First Church Edifice (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marcellus World Wars Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Steadman House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Moses House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marcellus.
 
Also see . . .
First Sawmill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Nancy Mueller, February 5, 2011
2. First Sawmill Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
 History of the Town of Marcellus. In the fall of 1795 Hon. Dan Bradley and Deacon Samuel Rice became the first permanent settlers where Marcellus village now stands. (Submitted on February 5, 2011, by Nancy Mueller of LaFayette, New York.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 5, 2011. This page has been viewed 658 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 5, 2011, by Nancy Mueller of LaFayette, New York. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=40097

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2021