Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nashville in Berrien County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Berrien County

 
 
Berrien County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 23, 2011
1. Berrien County Marker
Inscription.  Berrien County, created by Act of Feb. 25, 1856, was named for John MacPherson Berrien, “the American Cicero,” who was born Aug. 23, 1781 and died Jan. 1, 1856. He was Judge of the Eastern Circuit, U.S. Senator and U.S. Attorney General. The county seat, Nashville, was named for Gen. Francis Nash of N.C., distinguished soldier of the Revolution. First county officers, commissioned April 21, 1856, were: Sher., John Studstill; Clk. of Courts, Richard A. Peeples; Tax Rec., John A. Money; Tax Col., John M. Futch; Cor., James Dobson; Sur., Seaborn J. Bradford; Ord., John Lindsey.
 
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 010-3.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 21, 1701.
 
Location. 31° 12.4′ N, 83° 15′ W. Marker is in Nashville, Georgia, in Berrien County. Marker is at the intersection of South Davis Street (U.S. 129) and East Washington Avenue, on
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the right when traveling north on South Davis Street. The marker stands in front of the Berrien County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nashville GA 31639, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indian Fights (within shouting distance of this marker); "Spirit of the American Doughboy" (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Coffee Road (within shouting distance of this marker); The War Between the States (within shouting distance of this marker); Harrison-Taylor House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Adel Lime Sink (approx. 11.1 miles away); Union Road Park Veterans Memorial (approx. 11.2 miles away); Old United States Post Office, Adel, Georgia (approx. 11.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nashville.
 
Berrien County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 23, 2011
2. Berrien County Marker
Berrien County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 23, 2011
3. Berrien County Courthouse
The Berrien County Courthouse was built in 1898 at a cost of $17,000.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 6, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 879 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 6, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=40122

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 21, 2024