San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Built in 1866 and occupied by A.P. Hotaling & Co., this building housed the largest liquor repository on the West Coast. It survived the 1906 earthquake and fire due to a mile long fire hose laid from Fisherman's Wharf over Telegraph Hill by the U.S. Navy. This prompted the famous doggerel by Charles Field:
for being over frisky,
why did he burn the churches down
and save Hotaling's Whisky?"
Erected 1992 by E Clampus Vitus, Yerba Buena Chapter No. 1.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Disasters. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1866.
Location. 37° 47.786′ N, 122° 24.172′ W. Marker is in San Francisco, California, in San Francisco City and County. Marker is at the intersection of Jackson Street and Hotaling Place on Jackson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 451 Jackson Street, San Francisco CA 94111, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Banking Firm of Pioche et Bayerque (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the Bank of Lucas, Turner & Co. (within shouting distance of this marker); 56 Gold Street (within shouting distance of this marker); First Jewish Religious Services (within shouting distance of this marker); The Salvation Army (within shouting distance of this marker); The Black Cat Café (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Graceful Brick Building (about 300 feet away); The Montgomery Block (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Francisco.
Also see . . . Historic American Building Survey Record for the Hotaling Building. Library of Congress entry:
Includes 3 photos and 9 pages of information on the Hotaling Building.Statement of significance: Begun in 1866, it represents an especially fine example of the rich Italianate buildings of brick, with cast iron facades, which dominated commercial design in the 1860s and 1870s. Its builder was Anson Parsons Hotaling, head of A.P. Hotaling Company, wholesale dealers in spirits and tobacco. After a long and active career as the headquarters of the firm, the building entered a period of gradual decline following the fire of 1906. (Submitted on February 9, 2011.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 9, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,174 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 15, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 2. submitted on February 9, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 3. submitted on December 15, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 9, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.