Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Valdosta in Lowndes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old City Hall

 
 
Old City Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 23, 2011
1. Old City Hall Marker
Inscription.  Site of Old City Hall at Ashley St. and Hill Ave. The City Hall, a brick and granite two-story structure built in 1895, was “the ornament of the town” with its 70-ft. clock tower. For 63 years it served as a City Hall, as the City Library until 1913, and as a public gathering place with an auditorium that could seat 600 persons for plays, operas, and traveling shows. By 1958 the city government had outgrown this building and moved to new facilities on N. Toombs Street.
 
Erected 1993 by The Valdosta Town Committee.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical year for this entry is 1895.
 
Location. 30° 49.85′ N, 83° 16.65′ W. Marker is in Valdosta, Georgia, in Lowndes County. Marker is at the intersection of South Ashley Street (U.S. 41) and East Hill Avenue (U.S. 84), on the right when traveling north on South Ashley Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Valdosta GA 31601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Millhous & Boothe Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nationsbank
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 400 feet away); Register Bros. Building (about 500 feet away); Dosta Theater (about 500 feet away); Troop Encampment Site (about 500 feet away); Ashley Street Market (about 500 feet away); Site of Cotton Exchange (about 500 feet away); Lowndes County (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Valdosta.
 
Regarding Old City Hall. The Old City Hall no longer stands.
 
Old City Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 23, 2011
2. Old City Hall Marker
Looking at the marker from South Ashley Street US 41); East Hill Street (US 84) is to the left. Both are one-way streets.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 10, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 603 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 10, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=40184

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024