Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fitzgerald in Ben Hill County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Ben Hill County

 
 
Ben Hill County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 17, 2011
1. Ben Hill County Marker
Inscription.  Ben Hill County, created by Act of July 31, 1906 from Irwin and Wilcox Counties, was named for Benjamin Harvey Hill (1823-1882), “one of America’s greatest orators.” A staunch supporter of the administration in the Confederate Senate, after the War Between the States he was an influential member of the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate. First officers of Ben Hill County, commissioned Jan. 5, 1907, were: C.M. Wise, Ordinary; D.W.M. Whitley, Clerk Superior Court; W.H. Fountain, Sheriff; E. Gibbs, Tax Receiver; W.L. Smith, Tax Collector; J.H. Goodman, Treasurer; Oscar Barron, Surveyor; William McCormick, Coroner.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 009-2.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1899.
 
Location. 31° 42.86′ N, 83° 15.007′ W. Marker is in Fitzgerald, Georgia, in Ben Hill County. Marker is on South Sheridan Street south of
Ben Hill County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 17, 2011
2. Ben Hill County Marker
The marker and the west side of the Ben Hill County Courthouse
Click or scan to see
this page online
East Central Avenue (U.S. 319), on the right when traveling north. The marker stands on the lawn near the west side of the Ben Hill County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fitzgerald GA 31750, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Grateful Appreciation of The Boys of Ben Hill Co. (within shouting distance of this marker); Portable Confinement Cage (within shouting distance of this marker); Jefferson Davis Memorial State Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fitzgerald (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 - 1902 (approx. ¼ mile away); Gen. Bush's Home (approx. ¾ mile away); First Baptist Church Bell (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Jefferson Davis Memorial State Park (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fitzgerald.
 
Also see . . .  Benjamin Hill. The New Georgia Encyclopedia entry for Senator Benjamin Harvey Hill, after whom the county was named. (Submitted on February 15, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 
 
Ben Hill County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 17, 2011
3. Ben Hill County Courthouse
This is the original courthouse, although somewhat modified. It was built in 1907 by the Falls City Construction County for a cost of $45,000 from a design by Virginia architect H. H. Huggins. A clock tower which originally topped the courthoue was removed in a 1954 renovation.
Ben Hill image. Click for full size.
circa 1880
4. Ben Hill
Senator Benjamin Harvey Hill, after whom the county is named. Library of Congress [LC-BH826- 3691]
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 13, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 789 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 13, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=40263

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 25, 2021